Dave Parker, BSc, CEng, FICE, FRSA, FIQA, was Technical Editor of New Civil Engineer magazine for 12 years before leaving in May 2006 to become a freelance author and journalist. Since then Dave has been involved in three book projects, on microgeneration, tall buildings and sustainable timber design, either as author, editor or co-author. He is a former Visiting Professor of Civil Engineering at Queen’s University Belfast, and during his time at NCE he successfully campaigned for the establishment of the CROSS confidential reporting scheme.
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
A potential solution to the UK’s housing crisis has gone on display in London. Dave Parker reports.
A dramatic new art installation on London’s Greenwich peninsula posed some unique challenges for the structural engineers. Dave Parker reports.
The team behind the UK’s first energy positive house was remaining optimistic this week despite the goverment’s decision to scrap the zero carbon homes initiative.
Major changes to health and safety regulations always attract criticism. The new CDM regulations are no exception.
New guidance on the use of tropical hardwoods in marine and freshwater construction aims to encourage the specification of more sustainable species.
One of the two holiest cities in the world of Islam is about to undergo a radical long-term transformation - and water is at the heart of it.
New lift technologies could transform the design of tall and super tall buildings.
A new Next superstore car park in High Wycombe is the first large-scale use of a fresh approach to permeable surfacing.
Any new River Thames crossing in the heart of London faces formidable regulatory constraints.
An ancient Japanese wood preservation technique has gone on trial as part of an Arts Council funded project on the Hampshire coast.
- Heavyweight concrete: Taby city hall, Sweden
- Timber structures: Loaded lumber
- Technical Excellence: A structured approach to erosion
- Technical Excellence: Leaving floods at the door
- Technical Excellence: Sophisticated spans
- Fears emerge that imported Dutch precast concrete blocks could be hazardous waste
- Structures: Smart and cool
- The structural challenges behind artist's 'melting house' installation
- Crossrail project claims concrete pumping record
- Structures: Home delivery